World Wood Day is a cultural event celebrated annually on March 21st to highlight wood as an eco-friendly and renewable biomaterial and to raise awareness on the key role wood plays in a sustainable world through biodiversity and forest conservation. This unique celebration reminds us all the importance and true value of wood and its responsible uses.
World Wood Day was proposed by International Wood Culture Society (IWCS) and first celebrated in 2013 in Tanzania. The successful conclusion of the first World Wood Day celebration prompted the necessity of establishing the World Wood Day Foundation (501(c)(3) non-profit organization) in 2013.
THIS IS THE PEOPLE CATEGORY IN THE WOOD AND LIFE PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST:
Observe the people around you and capture the way they embrace wood as part of their life.
WOOD & LIFE
Take a closer look at your daily life and surroundings and show us where and how wood appears in your culture. The contest is looking for photographs that can best present the interrelationship between wood and culture in the three given categories.
World Wood Day (WWD) is a cultural event celebrated annually on March 21st since 2013, organized by the International Wood Culture Society (IWCS) to highlight wood as an eco-friendly and renewable biomaterial and to raise awareness on the key role wood plays in a sustainable world through biodiversity and forest conservation. This unique celebration reminds us all the importance and true value of wood and its responsible uses.
This is a contest with a "professional license" at VOUBS. All the prize awards are guaranteed and witheld from the organizer by VOUBS!
Total Prizes for the “WOOD and Life” contests:
GRAND PRIZE (1) - $2,500 (USD)
- The winning photographer will be awarded with a $2,500 cash prize. (The winner will be the best performing author in the 3 categories – People, Heritage and Environment)
- The winning photographs will be exhibited at the 2018 World Wood Day Event.
OVERALL CATEGORY WINNERS (3) - $1,800 (USD)
- The winning photographers will be awarded with a $1,800 cash prize.
HONORABLE MENTIONS (30) - $300 (USD)
- The winning photographers will be awarded with a $300 cash prize.
*Prize above does not include any tax or transfer fee.
This is a contest with a "professional license" at VOUBS. All the prize awards are guaranteed and withheld from the organizer by VOUBS!
OPEN: November 20, 2017
DEADLINE: February 20, 2018
WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT: February 23, 2018
80 pts from jury voting
9 pts from total number of votes
5 pts max from WINGS
4 pts from average rating score
2 pts from total number of views
Total max pts: 100
- Entrants must be 18 years old or above.
- Each entrant may only submit one (1) photograph.
- Same photograph will be automatically disqualified if found submitted to other
WOOD AND LIFE contest.
- Entrants will not be permitted to alter their photograph after submitting.
- Photograph must be submitted in the following requirements:
- 20 megabytes (20MB) or smaller,
- JEPG or JPG format
- at least 1,600 pixels in length
- Adobe RGB or sRGB is recommended for color pictures. No CMYK.
- Color photos that converted to grayscale and do not change the original
content are permitted.
- Photograph must be in single exposure and single frame.
- The content of a photograph must not be altered by adding, rearranging, reversing,
distorting or removing people and/or objects from within the frame except “cropping
that removes extraneous details” and “removing sensor dust or scratches on scans of
- Entrants should retain high-resolution and RAW files of their submitted photograph.
The winning photographs will be exhibited at the 2018 World Wood Day Event, and
entrants of the winning photographs will be requested to submit a high-resolution file
(at least 300 dpi/ppi) for printing and display, and a RAW file to check if adjustments
made to the photograph(s) comply with Entry Rules.
- Entrants must provide a title and caption to their photograph. The caption must be
written in English only, complete, accurate, and sufficient to convey the
circumstances in which the photograph was taken, with the inclusion of the cultural
background that is photographed.
- The caption is recommended to be written in the following manners:
a. describe who and which culture is in the photograph and explain the
circumstances in which the photograph was taken.
b. name the city, region/states, country of where the photograph was taken.
- No identifiable mark, signature, or stamp is allowed anywhere on the photograph.
- The entrant must be the author of the photograph submitted in his/her legal name.
- The entrant must be the copyright holder or have been authorized by the copyright
holder to submit the photograph.
- The entry must not violate or infringe upon the intellectual property rights or other
rights of any third party.
- Entries will be judged based on relevance (30%), originality (25%), creativity
(15%), composition (15%), visual appeal (15%).
- There will be one (1) Grand Prize winner, three (3) Overall Category winners, thirty
(30) Honorable Mentions.
- The winning photograph will be exhibited at the 2018 World Wood Day Event.
*Prize above does not include any tax or transfer fee.
- Copyright of the photograph will remain to the photographer.
- Top 150 photographs will be displayed on the International Wood Culture Society
(IWCS) and the World Wood Day (WWD) websites to promote wood culture, World
Wood Day related events, and future contests .
- The winning entries (photographs) will be used in IWCS/WWD brochure(s),
documenting video(s), IWCS and WWD event related websites and social platforms,
such as Facebook and Instagram, and exhibitions for the promotional purpose of the
future events and contests.
I declare that…
A. I am the author of the photograph(s) I submit.
B. I am the sole copyright holder or have been authorized by the copyright holder to
submit the photograph(s).
C. I guarantee that to the best of my knowledge no third party can claim rights or raise
objections to publication/reproduction/distribution of the photograph submitted.
Submission of the photograph does not violate any applicable law, including but not
limited to the Copyright Law of the United States.
D. I accept all Entry Rules for the World Wood Day 2018 Photography Contest.
E. I grant International Wood Culture Society (IWCS) and World Wood Day (WWD)
permission to use photograph submitted in the contest, and without any remuneration
being due, in its online archive showcasing the results of previous events and contests.
F. If my photograph is awarded, I grant International Wood Culture Society (IWCS) and
World Wood Day (WWD) a three-year full copyrights permission to use my winning
photograph in brochure(s), video(s) and all media, including online, the exhibition,
and all promotional activities in relation to wood culture, the World Wood Day
Events, and future contests, without any remuneration being due.
8. IWCS and WWD reserve the right to amend the terms set forth herein, without prior notice, to add, change, and replace any terms or conditions of the contest.
February 21, 2018 11:35 AM
February 20, 2018 10:05 PM
Breathtaking photo! I am impressed.
February 20, 2018 09:29 PM
February 20, 2018 08:54 PM
February 20, 2018 08:28 PM