The Vršac Castle, called Kula (=the tower) was erectes on top of a steep hill at 399 meters above the sea level where it dominates the surrounding area in the north-west of Serbia, now near the town of Vršac.
This fortress had a significant role in the system of defence of the southern Hungarian border in the second half of the fifteenth century. The first stylized visual presentation of the Vršac Castle can be seen on the map of Lazarus Secretarius dating from 1528.
The Vršac Castle fell under the Turkish rule in 1522 When the occupying army of Ahmed Pasha seized it in their advances toward Tinisoara (Romania).
Not being able to withstand the cruelty of the Turkish rule, the population of Banat (the serbian area where the castle is) rose up in arms in 1594. The bishop of Vršac Teodor Nestorović, in agreement with Transylvanian Duke Bathory, organized the uprising. The insurance were succesull at the begining and liberated Vršac in a short ime, but Turks soon regained control over the fortress and cruelly punished the organizers of the uprising. One fighter Janko Halabura, rose to prominence during the uprising and ensuing fight against Turks. He was hailed as a hero for his defeat o Turkish Aga in a duel, after which he beheaded the Aga and impaled his head on his sabre (an image which appears on the city's coat of arms).
A Turkish traveler Evliya Celebi visited Vršac in 1664 and left a description of the Tower, commenting that it had been built in stone on a hight hill as a beautiful, almond -shaped fortress.
The provisions of the 1699 Karlovac Peace Agrement stipulated that all forts in the Banat area had to been destroyed. In 1701 The Vršac Fortress was systematically demolished.
Vršac was freed from turkish rule by Požarevac Treaty in 1718, and the Vršac Castle lost its role as a fortress.
In 1984 it began the reconstruction and in 1997 it has been done sistematicly archological escaves to reveal his history.
In 1999 the Nato attack destroyed the Fortress which has been another time recontuised in 2010 and from 2015 it is open o visitors.